Friday, March 30, 2012

6 Reasons Why Writing a New Novel is Like Trying to Get In Shape




1. You have to actually do something in order to make things happen.

(You know, write, walk, run, fast like a Hollywood ingenue before the Teen Choice Awards.)


2. You have to let go of the past.

(But in my old novel.... But in my old pants' size....)


3. You have to resist temptation.
(Why not another teen vampire novel? Why not another Reese's Peanut Butter Egg?)


4. You have to be a bit selfish with your time.

(Mama can't make Play-Doh cakes with you this afternoon because she'll be writing, dear heart. Mama can't visit the tadpoles in your classroom on Tuesday, sugar-roo, because if she doesn't get to the forest she'll look like Play-Doh. The white kind.)


5. You have to recognize that, for the most part, the process will sucketh mightily.

(I'm staring at my blank, dusty computer screen wishing I'd decided to join the Peace Corps. Or the circus. I'm staring at my muddy trail runners wishing I'd decided to take up water aerobics. With my elderly neighbor.)


6. Sometimes, you have to take a break.

(Step away from the computer, Quasimodo. Step away from that story line, because it's giving you hives. Drive directly past the trailhead and pull over, sit on the riverbank for a while. Or turn the car around and head to the gelato shop.)

No comments: