Sunday, November 2, 2008

Politics in America

For the upcoming election, I offer these quotations:

"I'm in love with this country called 'America.' I'm a huge fan of America. I'm one of those annoying fans--you know, the ones that read the CD notes and follow you into bathrooms and ask you all kinds of annoying questions about why you didn't live up to that. I'm that kind of fan. I've read the Declaration of Independence, and I've read the Constitution of the United States, and they are some liner notes, dude."
~ Bono

"Remember, remember always that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I want either less corruption, or more of chance to participate in it."
~ Ashleigh Brilliant

"If you can't convince them, confuse them."
~ Harry S. Truman

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."
~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
~ Ronald Reagan

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Vote early and vote often."
~ Al Capone

"What luck for the rulers that men do not think."
~ Adolf Hitler

"Sometimes it has been said that man cannot be trusted with the governmen of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others? Or have we found angels in the forms of kings to govern him? Let history answer this question."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Politicians are like diapers. They both need changing regularly and for the same reason."
~ Anonymous

"Take our politicians: they're a bunch of yo-yos. The presidency is now a cross between a popularity contest and a high school debate, with an encyclopedia of cliches the first prize."
~ Saul Bellow

"We have, I fear, confused power with greatness."
~ Stewart Udall

"The problem with political jokes is they get elected."
~ Henry Cate VII

"A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman thinks of the next generation."
~ James Freeman Clarke, Sermon

"As you know, my position is clear -- I'm the Commander Guy."
~ George W. Bush

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."
~ George Bernard Shaw

"The short memories of American voters is what keeps our politicians in office."
~ Will Rogers

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
~ John Adams

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
~ Abraham Lincoln

"I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."
~ Abraham Lincoln

"I am more and more convinced that Man is a dangerous creature, and that power whether vested in many or a few is ever grasping, and like the grave cries give, give. The great fish swallow up the small, and he who is most strenuous for the Rights of the people, when vested with power, is as eager after the prerogatives of Government. You tell me of degrees of perfection to which Humane Nature is capable of arriving, and I believe it, but at the same time lament that our admiration should arise from the scarcity of the instances."
~ Abigail Adams

1 comment:

Vinegar Martini said...

What gets me is that when our country was founded, politics/public service was never supposed to be a CAREER!

I proudly voted against a long sitting senator here in GA - it's time he realized that we put him in office and we can fire his sorry butt, too!